Not a week goes by without me opening a can of sardines to tip on to toast. Some- times I eat them as they come; other times I dress them up like this.
- 4 thick slices of sourdough bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- drizzle of olive or rapeseed oil
- 4 x 100g tins sardine fillets, drained
- 1 lemon
- handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 tbsp salted capers, rinsed
- 1 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
Preheat the grill to medium-high. Line the grill pan with foil and toast the bread on each side. Rub the toasted bread on one side with the halved garlic clove. Drizzle with a little oil. Flake the sardines over the toast. Finally, zest the lemon. Combine the parsley, pine nuts, capers, onion and lemon zest in a small bowl, season and mix well. Sprinkle evenly over the sardines, and serve with the quartered lemon.